6 Ways To Get Rid Of An Itchy Scalp And Look & Feel Fabulous!
- Skin & Hair Care Consultant
Suffering from an itchy scalp is no fun. Apart from being an irritant, it can also be a cause for embarrassment.
Itchy scalp can be caused due to a number of reasons. These reasons range from dandruff and ringworm to bacterial infections. Many of these conditions result in hair loss and skin rashes. Scalp conditions can be hereditary in many cases but some may be caused due to malnutrition or infection.
Itchy scalp results from an inflammation of the skin underneath the hair, which may or may not be associated with a rash or broken skin. The duration of the problem as well as its severity and frequency can vary from person to person. In a few cases, the itchy scalp gets resolved on its own or with mild treatment. However, under unfavorable conditions, excessive scratching can introduce bacteria or fungus into the scalp’s layers.
So, is it possible to bid goodbye to an itchy scalp? Of course, yes. And here are 5 ways to achieve this goal:
- Medicated shampoos: Sometimes certain hair care products can result in an itchy scalp. A medicated shampoo which is mild and gentle on the scalp is the safest bet in this case.
- Sufficient hydration and good nutrition: Doctors suggest that regular drinking of water and adequate intake of vitamins and proteins can help reduce scalp itchiness. An itchy scalp is the result of a dry skin. Water helps the scalp (and the body) stay hydrated.
- Anti-lice shampoos: Lice are also sometimes the reason for an itchy scalp. Lice are not just limited to school children’s hair but adults too can fall prey to them. Certain shampoos work well in eliminating lice if used as directed.
- Steroid creams: Conditions like seborrhoeic dermatitis, eczema, and scalp dermatitis are also associated with intense itching and flakiness of the scalp. Steroid creams and medicated shampoos offer a way out.
- Anti-dandruff shampoos: Dandruff on the scalp may also be caused due to regular or irregular washing, or both. Therefore, a middle way needs to be adopted depending on the kind of hair and its length. Regular use of Anti-dandruff shampoos (with a conditioner) which contain Zinc pyrithione, Coal tar, Salicylic acid, Selenium Sulfide, and Ketoconazole can help deal with itchy scalps.
- Right nutrition: Lack of nutrition can also be a major reason. A healthy balanced diet can go a long way in maintaining a healthy scalp.
Even after all these efforts, if the itchiness persists, it is advisable to seek medical treatment. Skin dryness can be considered one of the major reasons for this condition which can even result in a person causing self-injury due to discomfort.