Acne is a common skin disease characterized by pimples, blackheads, whiteheads, and cysts, that appear on the face, neck, chest, back and shoulders.
If ignored, acne can become a chronic problem. Here are some things to consider when treating acne.
- Eat nutritious foods that give you the required daily intake of skin-friendly vitamins and minerals.
- If a particular food item causes repeated breakouts, avoid it
- Hydration + exercise
- Exposing your skin to too much cold, heat and sunlight
- DO allow yourself some mild sun exposure to the sun as it can improve acne; but use a broad-spectrum sunscreen (SPF 30 or more,) when possible.
- Don’t use lamps – this exposes you to the long-term risks of sun damage and cancer
- DO use your acne medication as prescribed, following directions carefully
- Don’t self-medicate
- DO spot-test all topical medications on a patch of skin to check for sensitivity.
- Don’t keep using the product if you have a bad reaction. Inform your doctor immediately.
- DO check in with your dermatologist if your acne does not clear or show any signs of improvement within 1-2 weeks of medication.
- Do not continue your medication after your skin clears, this can have detrimental effects.
- Do wash your face to remove excess oil and dead skin cells
- Don’t overdo the washing – this can dry out skin adnd aggravate your acne problem.
- Do wash your face after a workout and excessive sweating. Remember to wash your hands and face if you work around greasy food & oil. Excessive oil and sweat can block your pores.
- Don’t use washcloths and puffs to wipe your skin as these can damage your skin.
- Do keep hairspray and styling as far away from your face as possible during application. Change or wash your pillowcase regularly if you use hair care products.
- Do not use hair products that contain oils and chemicals that can make your acne worse.
Acne Aggravators OR This Can Make Your Acne Worse!
Oil-based makeup that blocks your pores-
Oil-based hair products-
Your monthly period-
Picking at your pimples-
Scrubbing or exfoliating your skin too vigorously-
How To Deal With Acne: Treat It Early, Treat It Right!
X Don’t overwash your face
X Don’t use heavy cosmetics – a sure way to clog your pores
Instead, use an oil-free foundation
X Don’t sunbathe or tan yourself outdoors
Instead, protect your skin with oil-free sunscreen and lotions
X Don’t prick your pimples or pick at your acne
Instead, follow proper medication and CONSULT A DERMATOLOGIST.
Acne requires the attention of a medical professional. So, when in doubt, give us a shout! Skin & Hair Academy has the most comprehensive list of qualified dermatologists and skincare experts. Find the best ones near you -www.skinandhairacademy.in