Is Your Shampoo Doing The Right Work For Your Hair? Find Out Here
- Skin & Hair Care Consultant
What is a shampoo?
A shampoo is a cosmetic/medical product, specifically developed to clean the scalp, remove sebum and prevent the development of hair problems such as folliculitis and seborrhoeic dermatitis.
Why do we need a shampoo?
We need well-formulated shampoos to:
- clean and beautify our hair.
- remove sebum, sweat, styling products and environmental dirt.
- treat superficial conditions of the scalp like dandruff and seborrhoea
What to look for in a shampoo?
For best results, you need a shampoo that suits your hair type. The easiest way to find the right shampoo is to look for words on the label that describe your hair type, such as “dry,” “oily,” “frizzy” or “fine”.
Some common hair types are:
What should be the frequency of shampooing?
- For normal hair, you can go without shampooing as long as possible.
- People who have very fine hair, people who exercise (and sweat) a lot, and those who live in a humid environment can shampoo daily.
- People with superficial medical conditions like dandruff can shampoo more frequently.
What is the right technique of shampooing?
Squeeze out a dime-sized amount into the centre of your hand and lather it up between your palms
Apply the shampoo, starting from the top of your head towards the back.
Gently distribute through the rest of your hair. (Massage – don’t rub – your scalp with your fingertips)