Get rid of excessive Facial Hair in Women with these tips to keep you party ready
Excessive or unwanted hair that grows on a woman’s face and body is the result of a condition called hirsutism. The excess hair caused by hirsutism is dark and coarse and is different from the texture of the usual hair on the face. Women with this condition suffer from excessive hair growth, but that is only the tip of the ice berg. Let’s take a look at some of the reasons causing hirsutism:
1. What causes excessive hair growth in women?
All women produce androgens, the male hormones including testosterone. In women with hirsutism, androgen levels are higher than normal. Certain medical conditions lead to this condition that causes male-pattern hair growth and other masculine characteristics like deep voice etc.
PCOS is a common problem women face. Three out of four hirsutism cases are attributed to PCOS. Benign cysts in the ovary affect hormone production leading to irregular menstrual cycles, acne, obesity etc. along with excessive hair growth.
3. Disorders related to the adrenal gland
The adrenal glands are responsible for producing hormones. Adrenal gland problems can begin from birth causing irregularities in how your body produces androgens. Studies show that menopause and facial hair is a problem that many women associate with.
- Minoxidil - used to improve hair growth
- Anabolic steroids - Synthetic variations of testosterone used for muscle building
1. Hormone management
As mentioned, excessive hair growth can be caused by PCOS, androgenic disorders or obesity. Treatment for your hormone related problems can get you relief from unwanted hair growth on both the body and face.
Anti-androgen medication and combination of birth pills that contain estrogen and progesterone increases female hormones in the body and can show good results within 3 to 6 months of starting medication.
2. Topical treatment
Creams containing eflornithine discourage the growth of facial hair within one or two months.
- Waxing & shaving – you can temporarily get relieved from hirsutism with waxing and shaving. These methods are affordable but are not a permanent cure.
- Laser hair removal – Concentrated laser light rays are used to remove hair from follicles giving you permanent relief
- Electrolysis – hair follicles are subject to electric current that removes the hair by the root. These sessions take longer but are as effective as laser treatment.
Excessive hair on the face and body is a long term challenge. Despite permanent solutions, your hair could grow back again if your hormone balance goes out of control. Before you opt for hair removal treatments, address the root cause for permanent relief, a healthy life ahead and beauty that shines through!