Monsoon Ayurveda For Healthy Skin
The monsoon season or Varsha Ritu is one that everyone looks forward to. However, more often than not, it brings with it various illnesses and diseases that cause an imbalance in your body if you don’t take proper measures to prevent them. One of the oldest and perhaps the most advanced and widespread medical practices today, Ayurveda is a science of life that is said to cure illnesses by directly treating their root cause. According to Ayurveda (Ayur = life, Veda = science or knowledge), Varsha Ritucharya is a way of life that one needs to follow daily and create a lifestyle to maintain a good, healthy balance and boost immunity, especially during monsoons. One of the basic fundamentals of Ayurveda is to maintain health by preventing illness or disease.
In this season, it is quite possible that the Vata and Pitta doshas are aggravated which can reflect on your skin as well. Certain modifications to your daily routine, however, can help you maintain a healthy lifestyle which will help bring an equilibrium in the Vata and Pitta doshas.
What is Monsoon Ayurveda?
It brings together three aspects of holistic living, i.e. a healthy diet, a healthy lifestyle and effective Ayurveda therapies.
Let’s take a look at how Monsoon Ayurveda’s skin care tips and skin care routine contributes to a healthy and glowing skin.
The incessant rains during monsoons cause a drop in the immunity level within one’s body. This drop invites possible illnesses and infections that will definitely bog you down in the already gloomy weather.
There are however some lifestyle tips that you can follow that can help you get rid of skin problems on your face.
1. To boost your immunity and prevent the sudden popping of zits and rashes, you can choose to take Ayurvedic treatments that are said to help your skin flush out all the toxins
2. Don’t shower with extremely hot or cold water. Instead, use lukewarm water to bathe
3. The bacteria and virus in the air prevalent during the rains could cause definite skin infections that might take time to heal. So, do not step out of your house barefoot
4. Get an oil massage every chance you get, say, once or twice a week
5. Try to avoid sleeping during the day and exertion of any kind
Always step out of your house with an umbrella to stay dry and even avoid the strong sunrays
The systematic functioning of the human body is paramount especially during monsoons. According to the science of Ayurveda, ‘Agni’ controls the digestive and metabolic activities of the body. However, during the monsoon season, Agni that controls these activities within your body is weak due to the aggravation of the Pitta dosha which leads to various skin problems and infections. So, what healthy foods can you eat in the monsoon to combat the effects of an aggravated Pitta dosha? Although you should maintain a healthy diet all throughout the year, maintaining one in the rains is prime. The diet you choose should balance the deformed doshas and trigger ‘Agni’ to perform its part.
Here are a few simple tips and guidelines recommended by Ayurveda that you should follow to keep your skin clear of infections.
1. For proper digestion, drink small cups of lukewarm water throughout the day
2.Restrict your meals to hot, light and easily digestible foods
3. For better digestion, you can include a hint of black pepper, ginger and lemon in your meals
4. Porridge such as rice soup, millet soup with spices is highly recommended
5. Wherever possible, replace sugar with honey since it has properties that promote good digestion
6. Avoid the intake of fried, spicy, ready-to-cook or canned foods
What Are The Benefits of Monsoon Ayurveda?
Whenever you opt for Ayurvedic treatment, the monsoon season or Varsha Ritu is considered to be the best since the humidity and moisture in the air opens up the pores in your skin. This makes your skin more receptive to the treatment and Ayurvedic medications.
Here are some of the key benefits of Monsoon Ayurveda:
1. It balances the vitiated doshas
2. It boosts your immunity
3. It cleanses and detoxifies your body
4. It rejuvenates your body, mind and soul
5. It prevents illnesses such as diabetes, blood pressure, and stress and skin infections as well
6. It is an effective treatment for conditions such as rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, and back pain
7. To avoid any skin infections and to keep your skin healthy and glowing, you can seek the help of experts that practice Ayurveda.
If your skin problems still persist, you can get in touch with our expert dermatologists at the Skin and Hair Academy.