Teenage skin giving you nightmares? Here’s how you can change that!
- Skin & Hair Care Consultant
Skin care during teenage
Adolescence or teenage is the period when physical appearance and personality take an altogether new meaning for growing children. From body image concerns to shifting role models, they go great lengths to look good and presentable. This is also the time when due to biological changes their skin starts behaving badly, becoming prone to acne and pimples.
Skin problems can bring about low confidence and low self-esteem in teenagers. Acne is seen as one of the major worries during teenage years. Some of the major reasons for a breakout are:
1. Change in hormones:
Androgens are hormones majorly produced during teenage that trigger oil production. The more the oil is produced, the more likely it is that the skin pores will become clogged and acne prone.
Genetics too may have a role to play in acne. If your parents suffered from acne in their teens, it is likely that you may too.
3. Facial hygiene:
Not cleaning your face and lack of personal hygiene can cause a buildup of dead skin cells that will clog pores and cause break outs. Sleeping with your make-up on can also lead to acne.
4. Exposure to irritants:
Some ingredients such as alcohol, camphor, eucalyptus oil, which increase oil production, are seen as a reason for increased number of pimples.
5. Improper skin care:
A skin care routine should be followed for a clear skin. If acne starts, it can be brought under control by using medicated products. Consult your dermatologist for the right medication.
Stress levels, picking/squeezing on pimples, poor diet are some other factors which can lead to acne.
6 ways to a clear skin
1. Washing your face daily with warm water and mild soap is recommended. Scrubbing should be avoided. After washing the face, topical application of a lotion containing benzoyl peroxide and sulphur is recommended. These are easily available and do not require a prescription.
2. Pimples should not be squeezed because popping pimples can push infected material further into the skin, leading to swelling, redness and even scarring.
3. Glasses and sunglasses should be cleaned up frequently to avoid oil from clogging the pores around the eyes and nose.
4. If the problem of body acne occurs, it is advisable not to wear tight clothes as they cause irritation and do not allow the skin to breathe.
5. Fruits rich in vitamin and minerals should be consumed regularly so that the skin stays clean and fresh.
6. Having at least 8 glasses of water every day will help keep the skin hydrated and will also keep sebum production under control.