Botulinum Toxin or Botox is not just meant for cosmetics. Find out more
- Skin & Hair Care Consultant
Botox is the brand name for Botulinum Toxin (BT) which is produced by the bacterium, Clostridium Botulinum. It has been used to correct facial creases and wrinkles.
How does Botox Work?
1. Normally, brain transmits messages through nerves (by a substance called Acetylcholine) to the muscles thereby allowing them to contract and move.
2. BT blocks the release of acetylcholine which prevents contraction in the injected muscle, thereby causing the wrinkle to relax and soften.
How many botox units do you need?
Risk Factors 
Swelling or bruising at the site of injecting
Excessive tearing or dry eye, drooping eyelids, cockeyed eyebrows if injected around the eye
Botox Procedure 
It takes only a few minutes to carry out the procedure; anaesthesia is usually not required.
Botox is injected into the targeted (affected) muscle using a fine needle.
Full effect can be seen in 3—5 days
The effect lasts for 4—6 months
Other rare side effects or risks are:
- Muscle weakness on the entire body
- Difficulties in swallowing or speaking
- Difficulties in vision
- Difficulties in breathing
- No bladder control